I currently teach graduate psychotherapy and undergraduate interdisciplinary studies at CIIS.
I earned a B.A. in Literature from Reed College, and completed over 500 hours of training in Massage Therapy at the East West College of Healing Arts, where my studies and massage practice focused on exploring the impact of oppressive social practices and psychological trauma on embodied experience.
In addition to extensive seminars and trainings on a wide variety of clinical practice issues, I completed three years of postgraduate training in feminist and relational psychotherapy at the Women’s Therapy Center in El Cerrito, CA.
I have also facilitated poetry and nonfiction writing groups. My poetry and nonfiction have won numerous awards and have been published in literary journals and anthologies. I have also served as a first reader for poetry contests.
My interest in the impact of oppressive social practices on psychological formation grows out of almost 20 years of experience working, volunteering and organizing with social justice, grassroots, advocacy and arts organizations, including Amnesty International, Building with the Voiceless of El Salvador, ACT UP/Los Angeles, Queer Nation/Los Angeles and the Los Angeles Student Coalition.
I am a frequent guest blogger about the psychological and political intersections of LGBTQ equality and racial justice at LGBTPOV.com and OaklandLocal.com.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Asian American Psychological Association
- APA Division 44 - Society for the Study of Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Issues
- APA Vision 48 - Society for the Study of Peace, Conflict and Violence: Peace Psychology Division
- Bay Area Therapists for Peace and Justice
- Psychologists for Social Responsibility
- Women’s Therapy Center
- Association of Women in Psychology
- Academy of American Poets
- The Psychotherapy Institute
- East Bay CAMFT
- Kink Aware Professionals
- Bay Area Open Minds